Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Psychological Challenge. Part II

This expedition is going to be a lot harder than tackling the Mississippi River. For one thing I am  couple of years older but not necessarily any wiser.

Secondly, there will be no current assistance this time, although this was sometimes illusory even on the Mississippi river with the invariable strong head winds. In fact will be the opposite in places. Every kilometre paddled will be hard earned, especially on the St. Clair river which flows South out of Lake Huron. There, I will be going upstream against a reasonable current. I will also be going up the Hudson "river," which is more accurately a tidal estuary. What all this means is that timing the tidal currents is crucial, especially in the lower reaches around Manhattan.

I am also more likely to face rough water on the lakes than on the river, especially if I choose to go down the exposed Western side of Lake Michigan. 

On the plus side, after completing the Mississippi river I have greater self belief,  knowing what is required and what I am capable of.


No comments:

Post a Comment